Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Between Year 21 & Year 22, I've Come Closer To Becoming My Authentic Self

*Listening To*
"Part Of Me" by. En Vouge
"Mobile" by. Avril Lavigne
"Purple Rain" by. Prince

So, one month from this date...On May 29th...I officially turn 22.

I say "officially" because I consider myself to be older, ever year at New Years, when the clock hits midnight. I don't really do anything different on my Birthday...its just another day. I mean, after my mom died, the day just lost all its "pzazz". Considering she was ALWAYS the one who made such a big deal out of the day.

And, I'm always alone on my birthday...even before I ran away from Cleveland, after high school, and moved to Chicago. And, now, there's absolutely NO ONE around to make anything of it.

There's just no reason to celebrate...So, I just forget about it like its any other day.

Anyhow, I was at work, one night last week, just thinking. And, then it hit me...I'm more outspoken then I used to be! I'm not all shy about opening my damn mouth about a lot of things anymore. I'm not afraid to look people square in the eyes and tell them what I think. I'm becoming more and more "comfortable" and confident with...ME! Does that even make sense?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still the same ole quiet Me...A man of few words. THAT is one of the things that will NEVER change...Its one of the things that make me...ME!

That being said, I'm definitely NOT as passive (let shit slide, lay down and take whatever) as I used to be.

I guess its called...Growing?

;-)

3 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

YES! I love this! I'm so glad you're growing Pa. Continue to do it. The person you're learing to become will take you so far in life. You'll look back at yourself in three years from now and marvel at how far you've grown!

fuzzy said...

you can call it growing, you can call it maturing, or you can call it life's process! But I feel you on that moms makin the birthday what it is. I can relate 100% to that!

Maybe instead of not having mom's pzazz, creat your own! Thats what i do! I make all of the noise if nobody will make the noise for me! I have never celebrated my birthday more until my moms passed!

Much luv to you!

bLaQ~n~MiLD said...

I liken 'growing' to getting taller or your dick inflating. What I liken your experience to is 'Confidence'. Be it casual or otherwise, it's still 'Confidence'. Welcome to adulthood young sir!

~Damnit!